During the checkout process at participating SafeKey merchants, you will be asked to confirm your identity by entering some personal information:
You’ll only have to provide these details once in order to activate your SafeKey and create a password. After that, you’ll just enter your password every time you shop online at participating merchant websites.
For the SafeKey Terms and Conditions click here.
1.What is American Express SafeKey®
SafeKey is a new layer of security against theft and fraud when shopping online. It helps prevent unauthorised online use of your American Express Card account before it happens by asking you to enter a password every time you shop online at participating SafeKey merchants. If a wrong password is entered then the transaction won’t go through and a potential fraud has been prevented. Once you’ve entered your password correctly, your transaction will be complete.
To continue shopping online at participating SafeKey retailers, you will need to enrol your Card in SafeKey.
2.Why should I use SafeKey®
SafeKey helps prevent fraud from taking place on your Card. You can transact securely when shopping online with the knowledge that we’re always looking out for you in the big wide world of the web.
3.Doesn't my Card already provide online fraud protection?
Yes it does. But prevention and protection against fraud are two very different things.
SafeKey is all about preventing fraud from even happening on your American Express Card as you shop online. However, in case your Card ever incurs a fraudulent transaction, our Online Fraud Protection Guarantee is our promise to deal with identified fraudulent charges after they’ve appeared on your Account statement. If a fraud occurs, we’ll review the charge, provided you have taken reasonable care to protect your account details and have complied with your Card Terms & Conditions.
4. Is SafeKey free on my Card or do I have to pay to use it?
It’s free as it’s part of your American Express Card benefits.
5. How do I make purchases with American Express SafeKey?
You will be asked to activate your SafeKey straight away when you make a purchase at a participating SafeKey retailer. Enrolment only takes a few minutes and you only need to enrol once. There are four simple steps to activation:
Step one: Confirm your identity by entering some personal information, which you have given us previously on your Card account:
- Your Full Name as displayed on your Card
- Your Member Since Date as displayed on your Card
- Your Date of Birth
- Your Government Issued ID or Passport Number (as per what you have provided on your American Express Card application or may have recently updated)
- The last 5 digits of your Mobile Phone Number (as per what you have provided on your American Express Card application or may have recently updated).
Step two: Create your SafeKey password. Enter 8 to 15 characters, without spaces. There must be at least one number and one letter. Please note that your password is also case sensitive.
Step three: Enter your password each time you make a purchase at a participating SafeKey merchant.
6. Do I have to activate my SafeKey straight away?
Yes. You will need to activate your SafeKey to continue shopping at any participating SafeKey retailer with your American Express Card.
7. Can I change my SafeKey password?
You can change your SafeKey password whenever you use SafeKey. During the online checkout process you will be prompted by a SafeKey screen to enter your SafeKey password. On this screen you can click “Forgotten your SafeKey password?” which will take you to a different screen. Once you have entered your personal information to confirm your identity, you may reset your SafeKey password. You can then continue your purchase using SafeKey.
8. Will supplementary Cardmembers use the same SafeKey password?
No. Supplementary Cardmembers must enrol their Cards separately and choose their own SafeKey password.
9. I hold multiple American Express Cards. Will I need to create a SafeKey password for each of my Cards?
Yes. You will need to enrol each Card separately, and it is strongly recommended that you choose a different SafeKey password and personal message for each Card.
10.Will I lose my place in the checkout when I activate or use SafeKey?
No you won’t. And you won’t lose your shopping or your place in the queue for tickets.
Depending on the merchant, SafeKey can appear as a new tab, a new screen or a new
dialogue box – all of which means your transaction will be safe while you create your SafeKey password.
11. Will I be clocked-out and lose my tickets when I activate or use SafeKey?
You can be, so please be sure to authenticate quickly to avoid issues with the merchant’s shopping cart timing out. Some merchants have long amounts of time for the checkout to last, others can be very short.
12. What do I do if I forget my password?
Just click the ‘Forgot your password?’ link. You’ll then be asked to authenticate yourself in the same as you did when originally activating your SafeKey. After this authentication process is complete, you can create a new password.
13. Why doesn’t SafeKey come up every time I try to make a purchase online?
Some merchants do not have American Express SafeKey so you won’t be asked for your
dynamic password when you’re buying things on those sites. You’ll only need to enter it for purchases made at websites that support SafeKey.
14. How do I know if a merchant offers American Express SafeKey?
All participating merchants will display the SafeKey logo on relevant pages on their site and at checkout.
15. What should I do if someone has obtained my SafeKey password or has used it to make a fraudulent purchase on my Card account?
If you ever suspect that a fraudulent purchase has been made using your American Express Card account, contact Customer Services immediately to report it, by calling the phone number on the back of your American Express Card.
16. I am not sure what mobile number/legal ID information I have provided on my Card application to complete the enrolment process. What do I do?
Please call the Customer Service number on the back of your Card so that one of our Customer Service Representatives can asssist you.
17. Can I skip the activation of SafeKey process?
You will not be able to skip the SafeKey Activation process. Before you can proceed with your online transaction, you will need to create a SafeKey password by completing the activation process.
18. Will I have to create a SafeKey password every time I perform a transaction on a SafeKey merchant?
You will only be prompted to create a SafeKey password once. From there, you will only need to enter your SafeKey password before making an online transaction at a participating SafeKey merchant.